Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving VM to new datastore failed, now vmdk files not found error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt B

Systems Engineer
Apr 8, 2020
US
Hello All,

I have an VMware ESXi v5.5.0 installation and using the vSphere client, I shut down the VM and used the datastore browser to move the VM folder from one datastore that was on a NAS (DST1) to a new datastore (DST2) on a local hard drive. There were two vdmk files that failed to move and any attempt to move them now give me an "...DNS/DNS1_2-000003.vmdk was not found" error. I'm confused because it shows me the file in the datastore browser, but give me this error when I try to move it. The VM cannot start because there are other vdmk's the have dependecies on this one.

Help!
Thanks,
Matt

To avoid data loss the best way is to create backups. You can test your virtual machines whether it can be backed up. Download full-featured free trial, run a vmware backup job and you will see what you can do about this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back