Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving user profile on standalone machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastersmurf

Technical User
Aug 2, 2005
US
Can you tell me if I can relocate the user profile (not just my documents) on a standalone machine to another drive

If it is possible - what do you have to do - I hope I dont have to move it and then point all my apps to the new locaton manually

Yes you can do it rather easily.

You need to edit the registry.

To change the default location for all new profiles edit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\Profiles Directory

To change the location of existing profiles you will need to edit the ProfileImagePath key found in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\User Guid

Note that you shoudl do this logged in as Admin. Edit the registry settings of all users EXCEPT the admin and move the folders. Then you will need to create a secondary admin ID to use to move the existing Admin ID (you can't move or edit the profile of a logged on user).

If you encounter problems moving any user, they are probably a member of the local admin group. Remove them from that group before moving to eliminate that problem.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you much - will try this a little later and add this to my "solution-set"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back