Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving to Win2k Server --> Win2k Advanced Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rp420

MIS
Jul 23, 2002
US
Check this out,
I have one box running Windows 2000 Server w/ Terminal Services. There are about 20 people that connect via Wyse terminals. I also have an identical box with a fresh install of Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I want to basically flip flop the servers. I want to move all the users and documents over to the new box and have everyone logon to the Advanced Server box and get rid of the Server box. Any suggestions on the best way to do this?
Is there like a server migration tool?
I know I can use the addusers utility to migrate the users, but what about the desktop settings, e-mail and documents?

Here is some info about the boxes:
-Dual PIII 933mhz
-1GB RAM
-(2) 20GB in RAID 1 (mirroring)

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Rob

If you add the new server to the domain, the AD should automatically sink with one and other. And if they connect via terminals and you have that installed on you new server you should be able to log on from any workstation that has terminals services installed. Once everything is taking over you can disconnected the server and make the new server the main one. Off course you will have to make sure you have DNS and other stuff set up on the new server.

Hope this helps

Serzwik

Cool, thanks for the info. But this is the only Win2k server box, and AD is NOT installed. I think it's installed as a normal server? All of the other servers are unix. Maybe I'll install AD and make it an DC so I can sync them up.

you need to dcpromo the Advance Server for AD and then install DNS and the advance server will replicate itself with the W2k server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back