Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving to win 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudsey41

MIS
Jun 15, 2002
GB
hi ...

I have just taken delivery of a brand new server(all singing and dancing) with Win 2000 on it.
I currently have a NT 4 Server for our school network, and want to move all my users(1200) and their files onto the new Server.

Can I ..... upgrade NT4 Server to Win2000 as the PDC and make the new server the BDC, then remove PDC and upgrade the BDC to PDC so making the new Server the PDC ....changing computer name so all the logon scripts work !!

Fairly new to all of this ...... a long story ... was the only one who caught the NT4 Server manual when it was thrown !!!!

Do I need any special software to do the 'backup' or will 2000 do it automatically ?
thanks in anticipation of your help ...... :)

Yes you can...

1) Upgrade the NT4 machine
2) Setup the W2K server as a DC (There are no longer PDCs and BDCs)
3) After that you will need to transfer the PDC emulator and a few other things from the old NT4 machine to the new server, after that you can take the old NT4 machine down.

I applogize that I cannot remember the other items that need to be transfered from the old NT box to the W2K box... This article should fill in the gaps I left out:
CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

thanks for the help
will let you know how it goes after I try it today/tomorrow ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back