Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving to ProCurve Switches From Cisco Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbalouie

Technical User
Mar 25, 2009
US
Hi,

I will be moving from Cisco switches to ProCurve switches next month, 3500 PoE switches from what I've been told.

If this forum is like the Cisco forum there are some geniuses around here!

I'm looking for any type of website or other information that is dedicated to ProCurve switches. I'd like to get up to speed on the use of the switches and would greatly appreciate any good sites you could share with me. I'm a CLI guy myself but it might be time to move to using a GUI if that's what HP offers as a management interface on their switches.

Thanks In Advance!

FYI, this forum started as 3COM, and has been 3COM until the merger took place. So, all the HP stuff is foreign to me, and I have no clue how their (HP's) architecture is similar or different from 3Com's.

....JIM....

I guess the thing to know about the 3500s if you're coming from, say, Cisco 3750s, is that they don't stack. (What HP call "stacking" is just a single configuration management for "stacked" switches, which is pretty useless.)

On the other hand, with the 3500s, you will get 10Gb uplinks for about 1/5th the price of Cisco 10Gb.

I was actually shooting for the Cisco 3750's but when the management (all medical people) saw the HP 3500's '1/5th the price' tag, the decision was settled!

If you like the Cisco 3750s, you can always check the secondary market and see if those are price competitive with the 3500s, and try to beat the HP price that way.

....JIM....

Don't forget to compare the 3500s with the 5400s - it is per port cheaper to go with 5400s, and you get 24-port modularity, so if you only needed 72 ports you only have to buy 72 ports, whereas with 3500s you would be buying 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back