Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving to new server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehensley

Programmer
Aug 14, 2002
US
This may be a little too in-depth for this forum, but does anyone have any tips on moving a Dynamics installation from an old server to a new one?

Moving servers is really not that difficult a task.

It does depend on what database you are using and you have not said if you are on ctree, old btrieve, pervasive or SQL server and I don't want to describe all these so in short it is a simple process of installing that database software e.g. installing MS SQL. Copying the data to the new server and then pointing all the workstations to the new server. It is a good idea to shut off the old server just to be sure that no one is still looking at it.

Thanks for the reply Hoogie. I made the move and everything went ok. Well, it would have been smoother if I had remembered to apply the Pervasive SQL license disk when I installed it and that sent me on a pathnames file wild goose chase for a while, but in the end all is well. I did take your advice about shutting off the old server and it had no effect. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back