Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving to a new domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

teksadat

MIS
Jul 10, 2003
US
Hi,

I have few servers in one domain, i am moving these servers to a new domain. All are Win2K servers.
PLEASE MAKE A NOTE: I will be doing all this through Terminal Services.

I have never done this before. What i want to know first should i disjoin them from the existing domain and add it to a workgroup and then join it to the new domain, this requires two reboot.

If i do so, then will i be able to connect to the server with TS when the server is in workgroup?

If not can i add these servers directly to the new domain without putting them to any workgroup?

Appreciate your quicker response. Thanks in advance.

Use the NetDom resource kit utility to move the servers. It will allow you to work remotely. Expect everything to blow up in your face if you try to do this via TS. You will loose connectivity and likely be unable to reconnect.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

Make sure you have the LOCAL Admin credentials before doing so, as the domain admin will not be able to connect. Even better, install VNC on the boxes for the mean time. That way you'll be sure to have remote connectivity with Local Admin credentials.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Good advice monsterjta.

I do these kind of moves using a vbscript that automates the use of NetDom. Doing that I can get away with just one reboot of the servers and get them on the new domain.

Regards,

Mark

Is it not possible without the use of NetDom and VNC ?

I agree with both - you CAN use netdom, but you don't have to and you should also setup VNC before starting as a way to (hopefully) ensure you don't lose access to the machine. Then make sure you know a password on a local admin account on each system as well.

In my experience, you don't really need to reboot either - just log out and log back on. The reboot is probably safer though, so I usually do it anyway.

As for expecting problems - I both agree and disagree. I disagree in that this really should be an easy thing with little chance for error if done right... BUT, by expecting problems, hopefully you plan for most of them and aren't caught with your pants down, so-to-speak. Meaning locked out of the machine with no password and with Terminal Services not starting. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

If you take it easy, know the necessary info, I see a high probability of success.

One last thing - MAKE SYSTEM STATE BACKUPS BEFORE STARTING ANY OF THIS!

A reboot is necessary for the new domain membership to take affect. the computer SID needs to be refreshed and that cannot be done without the reboot.

Regards,

Mark

We're both right. You can remove it from a domain, NOT reboot, log off, log on, then put it back in the domain and reboot (I've done this before, successfully, multiple times.

Yes, absolutely, you are correct. As I mention above, my script that automates NetDom does just that. It removes from the domain then joins the new domain and reboots.

For anyone interested, that script is part of my Admin Script Pack. Refer to the url in my signature for details.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back