Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving the "Desktop" folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju

Technical User
Jul 4, 2000
FR
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to move the folder "desktop" in win2000 to another location (the same way we can move "my documents" to another place).

Thank you,

Ju

You can set a GPO for this, as well as the Application folder and My Documents.

I have found the group policy available only if I had a Windows 2000 server with Active Directory.

In my case I have a stand alone Windows 2000 Pro. I couldn't find the availability in any policy to do that.

My last search turned me to "TweakUI" which allows to move any of the os folder ("my computer" panel and "special folders")

It lead me to the registry keys modified to do this but now i'm a little confused... (the registry key is: HKEY_USERS\S-x-x-xx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-500\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders)

It seems that i can't see in the registry all the accounts on my computers under hkey_users\...

i'm a little lost in that part of the registry. Any help :) ?

Ju,

Can I ask, since you're working on a single machine, why you even want to move the folders? They're put into strategic places as it is, why move them?

Dave

I only have one burning question ... Why? The system needs to know where the desktop folder is all the time to be able to create it for each user. By default, this folder is kept in the "Documents and Settings" folder on the system drive, under each user's userid. Plus one for "default" and one for "all users". There is no magic associated with this folder other than the OS has to know where they are to be able to construct the users desktop when logging on.

Again, why would you want to move this innocuous folder?

WW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back