Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving the IMS within a site 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legs11

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Im confused after reading as many of the MS KB articles as I could find. I need some clarity from someone please...

I have 2 servers in an exchange site. The first server has had nearly all of its mailboxes and services and connectors moved to the second server in the site - the IMS still remains on the first server that I would like to retire due to hardware limitations

Any ideas?

Our Internet mail is picked up off another server (which our MX records point to)this server is not part of our exchange site which where my IMS confusion stems from.

Can I presume that I can setup a new IMS on the second server and when all seems right, remove the service from the first server?? Am I missing something?? Can you have 2 IMS's in the same exchange site??

Thanks all

p.s many thanks to petergriff and mapleleaf for their help in previous thread - Ian you're a star - cheers.

you can have many IMS in a site, but one will be considered primary. if you remove the original, you may have to recalculate routing to get the other servers to behave as you'd like.

You need to look for a TechNet article or white paper on removing the first server in a site before you actually remove the server. This will prevent a host of problems.

Thanks for the advice and the replies.

I now know that I can have an additional IMS in the site. Any ideas on how I actually go about sorting out the routing calculation. I presume that you add a new entry in the address space tab.

Any more detail would be really appreciated.

Are there any catches?? Do I have to look out for any pitfalls when adding an additional IMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back