Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving the Database 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DColcl

MIS
Sep 22, 2003
US
in 5.5 I was able to get to a wizard that allowed me to move certain aspects of the Exchange server to differnet partitions. Ie: move the database and log files to a partition with more space.

Could someone please guide me in the right dirction on how to do this on Exchange 2k3?

Thank you.

Danny

PS For those of you folling me migration I want to say thank you because things have gone flawlessly. Thank you to the many posts that I have found here as I did my research and to the MANY replies to the questions I have posted on this site. Thank you!

NM. I found the answer to this as well. Here it is:

. Exchange ships with a utility that allows the program to gather information about the computer and make changes to the Exchange configuration to enhance performance. These performance enhancements are primarily gained by moving the files that make up Exchange to different physical disk drives.

Start the Exchange Optimizer (either as part of the installation of Exchange or from the Exchange sub menu of Programs)
Chose options for the server (see diagram below). You can always run this again at a later time if the configuration scaling changes.
Disk analysis runs, click Next
Recommended file moves displayed. Adjust or accept and click Next
Select whether the optimizer should copy files automatically (by checking the "Move files automatically" box and click Next
Services will then be restarted. Check the "Do not restart these services" if its not convenient. Click Finish
Parameters will then be saved the were calculated by the optimizer, services stopped, files moved then services started again.

I hope this helps anyone else that may do this modification.

Danny

well, it appears that he above statement is related to Exchange 5.5.

Does anyone know where the Optimizer is located on Exchange 2k3?

its on the installation cd or you can download it from microsoft.

Thank you, Patric. I'll go look it up now.

dc

Were you successful in moving the database file? How did you go about it?
I am very low on disk space and am going to install a new mirror set and would like to see some sort of results.
Also, our database is about 19 GB. How long did it take to move your and how large is it?
Thank you very much for your help.

S.R.

The instructions for moving a database file (eg. pub1.edb) is in the help files supplied with Exchange. In simple terms all you need to do is open Exchange System Manager and browse to the mailbox store or public folder store. Right click on the store and select properties and edit the path where the database file is located.

The store is dismounted during the move so it is unavailable until the move is complete. Our 16Gb public folder store took between one and two hours to move.

So it automatically moves, the edb? It seems like it wants you to point to a new file, which is probably why I'm confused.

If 2-3 hrs is all I'm looking at, then I'll go that route.
Thanks for your help!

S.R.

It does automatically move the edb and stm files. Open System Manager help and search for "Moving a Store". This describes what will happen in the move process.

yes, SR, I was able to move the database VERY easily. And I too had a 19+ DB. Took about 2 hours I think, maybe 3. But I know that I did it before Noon.... and I started around 9 or 9:30AM.

When I get to the shop tomorrow, I'll tell your were to go to change the location. If memory servers, I only needed to change the drive letter from C:\ to D:\. Believe it or not, that was it!

Also check the folder permissions to make sure they are the same as the folder you are moving from.

ha! I see that Tightpants already gave you the instructions on how to do it. Yes, all you need to do is go to the "Mailbox Store" and right click on it... then go to Properties. Then click on the "Database" tab. Notice the first two fields which denote the current location of both edb & stm. Click on the "Browse" button beside each and change the Drive letter to that of the drive in which you wish to have the databases moved.

I made sure that everyone was disconnected from Outlook and OWA.

It really was THAT simple.

GL, S.R.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back