Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving SSA RAID array to different server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkharris

Technical User
Nov 20, 2000
GB
I am trying to move an SSA RAID-5 array from one RS6000 machine to another ( os=AIX). Unfortunately, now that the discs are connected to the new server, I am unable to access the RAID-5 array.

After running cfgmgr, the system found the SSA pdisk devices, but did not add an 'hdisk' for the RAID-5 array, although clearly it knows that the RAID-5 array exists:

% ssaraid -I -z -l ssa0

pdisk0 0060947EBFC200D member n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
pdisk1 0060947EEA5400D member n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
pdisk2 0060947EEA6400D member n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
pdisk3 0060947EEB5400D member n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
pdisk4 0060947EEBDB00D member n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
pdisk5 0060947EEE8C00D member n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
pdisk6 0060947EF22200D spare n/a 18.2GB Physical disk
99BA3C5EBFD24CK 99BA3C5EBFD24CK unknown 0 RAID-5 array

When you try and change the use of the RAID-5 array to 'system disk' (which I want to do in order to get an hdisk device created), I get the following error:

% ssaraid -H -l ssa0 -n '99BA3C5EBFD24CK' -a use=system -d
ssachg: Object 99BA3C5EBFD24CK is not known
ssaraid: Change method failed for 99BA3C5EBFD24CK

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can 'import' this RAID-5 array, and keep the data it contains, into the new system? Is there something I could create in the ODM? It almost seems like a vicious circle - the status of the RAID-5 array is unknown because there isn't an hdisk, but I can't create an hdisk because the array is unknown...

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

Post this in the AIX forum. You'll have a much better chance at a response.

Bill.

Hello,
Go to then search on SSA and you will find redbooks on the SSA and it will list the steps that you have to do. Nothing wrong with AIX. Just need the documentation on how one should move the disk.

first file system has to be unmounted and then vg has to be varied off and export the vg before you disconnect the ssa and move it to another system and attach it there.

If you do not have any data on SSA then you just have to follow the documentation on the SSA to move the disk and then make hdisk from the pdisk. In the smitty storage there is option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back