Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving SMS from a DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormer

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
The SMS Primary Site Server and Site Database currently reside on the same Windows 2000 Advanced Server which is configured as a DC. I am going to move the SMS Primary site to a new server and I would like the new server to just be a member server. Does anyone know if this is possible/supported or would I have security issues with SMS accounts?

I was able to do this by recovering the site onto a member server.

Let me know if you need more information.

Chuck

My concern is whether moving the site to a Non-DC will foul up any of the SMS Accounts, all the default accounts have been used SMSService etc.

I moved one of my production sites from a NT 4 DC to a Windoes 2000 member server. It went very smoothly.

Before starting, I would download the SMS Security Essentials White Paper. This describes the functions of the various accounts in excruciating detail. I would also work through the SMS Recovery web site.

Is your site server a PDC of it's own resource domain? Is it part of a hierarchy (with parent and/or child sites)?

If not, I don't think that the move would be particularly painful. However, it will need careful planning.

I would implement all of the optional accounts that reduce reliance on the SMS generated accounts (Client Connection Accounts primarily).

I personally use a complete test environment. This allows me to pilot changes before I impact my production sites.

Chuck

Thanks for the info, the server is a w2k DC in the same domain as all of the secondary sites, which incedentally are also on DC's ( only servers on site ).

Hey cheltzel,

I am about to do the same move as you did...

I need to move my primary SMS server from NT4 BDC into new hardware running Win2000 as Member server.

But.. I am not sure of the correct procedure to do this?

Will my secondary sites still be able to connect?

Can you help me out?

/Toby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back