Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving shares along with files

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick118

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
NL
We have a fileserver from which the D:\ drive is nearly full with user data.

User have there home directory in d:\users\"name"

Now i want to move these to E:\users with there permissions on the files. Robocopy can do that trick with no problem.

But then i still need to set the shares manually. Is there some sort of way to move the shares with them?
every user folder has a 'name'$ share on them.

Patrick118,

You are looking for a tool called File server migration tool,FSMT. From Microsoft and retains share permissions with migrations. Works a treat!

Regards
Greg29

Greg
I thought FSMT only worked going to a W2003 server?

Patrick

You could do it easily enough with a batch file actually and the rmtshare util from the resource kit.

All you'd need is the list of folder names (not path), one per line, as an input.

Format would be of the form:-

for /f %%a in (users.txt) do rmtshare \\server\%%a$ /delete

^ This would get rid of all the shares ^

for /f %%a in (users.txt) do rmtshare \\server\%%a$=h:\users\%%a /grant everyone:F /remark:"Home share for %%a"

^This would put the new shares in ^

Obviously you'd have to muck about with the perms if you don't want everyone there but that is easy enough.

Unfortunately you do have to do the deletion first, you can't update as such with rmtshare.

Hope this helps you on your way.
Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back