Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Public Folders between Storage Groups on the SAME Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2004
US
Does anyone know how to move public folders from one storage group to another on the SAME server? I am reorganizing the data on my single Exchange 2000, and want to get rid of the First Storage Group, which holds all of my public folders.

I have found tons of articles of how to move to another server, but none on how to move on the same server.

Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

You have to create another PF store, and then you can move your PF folders/files into that new PF store in a few different ways. One of which is the using the exmerge u utility

Sebastian Jazzer
MCSE 4.0 & 2000, Network+, A+, Web Developer

Thanks for the feedback.

Forgive my ignorance, but it seems EXMERGE is only for mailboxes, not public folders.

I tried EXMERGE U and EXMERGE /U as you suggested above, but it still only reads mailboxes, not public folders.

Any more info you can provide will be appreciated. By the way, my server version is Exchange 2000. Thanks.

This process is really pretty straightforward, but it's not particularly intuitive so here are the steps:

In the group where you want the AD hierarchy objects to end up, right click in ESM on the Site object.
From the context menu, select “New“ and then “Public Folders Container“.
Next, drag and drop the “Public Folders“ MAPI hierarchy object from the Folders container in the source group to the newly created Folders container in the new group.
It really is that simple. This process is also covered in KB.252105, although it's a fairly spartan KB, so you may not find it unless your search is right on target.

Sebastian Jazzer
MCSE 4.0 & 2000, Network+, A+, Web Developer

You are the real deal, sir. This is certainly the way to do this. Thanks for the feedback!

I posted this questions in Experts-Exchange, msexchange.org, Windows IT Pro forums, and on Microsoft's Exchange 2000:Admin newsgroup, and no one could tell me how to do it. Most folks even said it was impossible, and that I'd have to backup each folder to a PST, delete the tree, create a new one under the storage group of my choice, then restore. Not so, thanks to your info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back