Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Public Folder Store to a New SAN Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmyint

Technical User
Oct 5, 2000
AU
Exchange 2003 SP2
SAN DISK Store: 200Gig
Free Space : 100megs

Solution : Introduce new SAN DISK to exchange server and migrate all Mailboxes to recover White Space as OFFLINE Defrag downtime is too long.

Question: How do u move Public Folder Store ?

I have read many KB's and Guides

Assume:

Shutdown Exchange Services
Copy EDB / STM to new SAN DISK
Start Exchange
Point Public Folders to NEW SAN DISK Location?

or am i Way off the mark

This plan would work great for a mailbox store side; you'll fully promote all items to the edb. You'll get the same space recovery as from a move mailbox, with the added bonus that your STM will be truncated. The steps are a bit off however:

1. Create a new store on the new disk
2. Use move mailbox to move all the mailboxes
3. Dismount and delete the old store

The problem, in the public folder store case, is that there can be only one MAPI TLF. The best you can hope for is to move the physical files. Depending on the level of whitespace and the potential to reuse that space (if it'll be resused, don't get rid of it) consider an offline defrag of the public store before moving it. You'll copy less data.

thanks for the advice... will be running through it in a couple of hours ..

;-)

fingers crossed..

Please post back with results and any tips for future members to benefit from.

Morning..

1. Create a new store on the new disk! Success
2. Use move mailbox to move all the mailboxes
$ For some reason I was unable to relocate most of the Mailboxes across to the new store

multiple mailbox errors perhaps due to people still logged into email, our 3rd party mail archiving tool and possible backup caused large amount of errors, which resulted in only 1/3 of mailboxes being moved..

During the process of the move the INFO Store dismounted perhaps due to the large amount of errors..

i will keep u posted with my trials ..

Don't do a move mailbox during the backup. Users logged in overnight is daft - tell them to log out. 3rd party archiving tool needs to be stopped.

Hi Guys ..

relocated Public Folders by dimounting and moving to the new Drive..Mailbox Moves occured without any errors..

The combination of errors included possible not waiting replication of the new store and other factors in my previous posts..

thanks very much for your guys advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back