Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Priv.edb to network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalanche808

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2003
US
Hi All,

I'm in a bit of disk space jam. My Exchange 5.5 SP4(NT 4.0 SP6) server is maxed out of space. I've tried the offline defrag without success. My free space on the drive is still under 30MB. My question is: Is it possible to map a drive to another server, make a copy of the priv.edb and pub.edb, place it on the mapped drive and then reset the directory locations with Exchange Administrator to point to the new drive? I've already tried to add an IDE HDD to my server but was not able to get it to boot properly using a modified boot.ini. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't want to run an Exchange server with its priv and pub.edb files on a mapped network drive - this will have a performance hit. You really need a way of increasing the disk volumes on this server.

Alternatively you could do a hardware DR to a different server with bigger disks...

Thanks zbnet! I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to try and get one more drive for my array and see if that does the trick. Thanks for the response!

If and when you manage to get your server up with extra volumes, you might find you want to move your databases to another drive. If so, the correct way to do this is using the Optimizer (this will stop the services, so you need to do it out of hours).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back