Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Primary AD Controller? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
This weekend I'll be upgrading our NT4 domain to a AD with Win2k. I just got a new Dell Poweredge server that will eventually become the primary controller for the AD. Now, I know the usual method for doing this would be to install NT on the new server, make it the PDC for the domain then upgrade but I can't get NT to work on the new server due to some incompatible drivers/hardware. So, the plan was to:

1) Upgrade our current PDC to Win2k
2) Install Win2k on the new server
3) Make the new server the primary controller (ala PDC) on the new AD.
4) Format the old PDC and reinstall Win2k as a member server since it's not going to be a domain controller due to hardware and other software that will run on there

My question is with #3. What all do I need to do to move the primary controller functions to the new server? I know I need to move the PDC emulator over to it, but what else?

Thanks for all your help!

I would make it a GC... also ensure you have DNS running on it might be a good idea so SRV records get created correctly... ALso ensure You subnet is created in sites and services. Before you demote the Old server from 2000 DC you need to sieze all % FSMO roles...

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the quick and helpful advice!

Another tip: I recently did a similar thing to a poweredge server. You will need drivers from dell if your server has a Dell PERC RAID controller in it. I'd contact Dell to find the location of them.

Just a heads up... in case you have any trouble with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back