Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving PP of a particular disk 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelldis

MIS
Jun 17, 2005
EU
Hi All,

Ive heard that the newer (5.2 and up?) AIX versions have an option to move around pp's on a hdisk (from middle to center or vice versa to improve performance etc.).
Ive been trying to find info on this subject but hardly got anywhere.
So first of all, Is this true?
If so can this be done across disks?

I have the following problem:
aix 5.3 with mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk2 with 1 unmirrored filesystem /testX. Due to this hdisk0 is 100% and hdisk2 has a few PP's to spare
hdisk2 active 546 149 00..09..00..31..109

A mirrored filesystem /test within rootvg is at its limit. I cant increase the size because hdisk0 is full.

The idea is to move PP's from FS /testX from hdisk0 to hdisk2. In that way I can free up some space on hdisk0 in order to increase the size of FS /test. The question is, how to move the data per PP from one disk to another?

Ideas anyone?

/\/\ichelle

That has always been possible ever since LVM was around as low level command lmigratepp (which I used in home-baked scripts to migrate one or more PPs). Only now the AIX lab has provided the high level command migratelp.

HTH,

p5wizard

khalidaaa,

Thanks, worked like a charm :)
for future users: a short quick and dirty version of khalidaa's suggested document:

Find the LP number of you LV:
lslv -m lv_xxx
LP PP1 PV1 PP2 PV2 PP3 PV3
0001 0112 hdisk2
0002 0113 hdisk2
0003 0114 hdisk2

to move lp numer 0001 to hdisk0 enter:
migratelp lv_xxx/1 hdisk0

/\/\ichelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search