Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manic

Programmer
Feb 28, 2001
GB
I have 2 identical IBM rack mounted server one win2K server and one win 2k3.

I have a mirror on the 2k machine and I want to move the disks to the 2k3 machine.

Is this possible without losing all of the stored data?

I have thought of breaking the mirror moving the empty drive to the 2k3 machine copying the files moving the second drive and reinstating the mirror.

this sounds far to simple to actualy work tho.

any pointer, tips or info would be mose helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

If the raid controllers are the same type and version of bios they you could move the drives from one server to the other.

What you would do is put the drives in the other server in the exact same positions. Boot to the ctrl-i mini config program, advanced functions, restore to factory defaults. Then copy the config from drives to controller.

Just remember it is not supported by IBM so if you have a problem you are on your own. As with anything there is risk involved so make sure you have a verified backup before you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back