Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving messages from Outlook 2000 to OE6 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario51t

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
Anyone knows the "proper" procedure?

Apparently OE6 cannot import from .pst files, and exporting to any available format seems to lose important attributes, like datestamps.

Thank you in advance.

OE6 will import from pst files..
Not sure why you are not able to do this..
What error are you getting ?

Murugs

You may be able to tell Outlook to export to Outlook Express. Going from one to the other isn't always fool proof.

Murugs: the error message is "Messages cannot be imported by the MAPI client. An error has occurred." I get it when I select "Outlook" as the application from which to import the messages and click "next".

I'm running NT4/SP6a with the latest Windows update pack. OE comes from a freshly installed IE6 SP1.

Sabrina: Outlook 2000 only gives you many export choices, like Excel and Access, but not OE. Presumably MS expects people to upgrade from OE to O, not the other way around.

Thanks all.

Ok...I guess you do not have outlook installed on the machine. Unfortuntely to import .pst files into Outlook Express you need to have Outlook Installed. You might think how silly is this..Try importing .pst file into a machine which has both OE as well as Outlook and then move the new OE files (.dbx) to your desired machine.

HTH

regards
MP

I have been struggling with this for days. Old machine had Outlook and OE. New one only has OE6. If I import messages from Outlook to OE6, it works and I could then take to new PC BUT (almost) all attachments are not imported. The attachements are really important to me - anyone know a way to get messages plus attachments from Outlook to OE6?

The address book would be nice as well, I've had limited success with this.

When you imported the messages from outlook into OE in your old machine, did you try opening them with OE and see if attachments were intact in old machine..

or
just a guess..In your new machine before importing take care of this setting.

Go to Outlook Express click options click security
uncheck 2nd square box which says attachments ..saved..

You are brilliant - it's so obvious when you know how, but I'm new to OE and didn't know such an option existed - and seraching help on attachments hadn't drawn it to my attention. Nor had various web sites telling you how to transfer stuff. Like most things in Computing - if you know or can imagine something being done, you can usually find out how - if you've never heard of a facility....

Thanks

Glad that I was of some help to you.
Thanks for the star :)

Murugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back