Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving LV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2001
US
I have three 4.5 gig drives in a VG. I need to replace those three drives with 9 gig drives. I just have LV's on those three drives that are used to assign datafiles to Oracle. Can I move those LV's to tape then replace those drives then move the LV's back to the 9 gigs drives after I create the VG? Here is the current state:

PV_NAME PV STATE TOTAL PPs FREE PPs FREE DISTRIBUTION
hdisk19 active 537 380 58..00..107..107..108
hdisk36 active 537 4 02..00..00..00..02
hdisk37 active 537 86 04..00..00..00..82

I move datafiles for oracle all the time from one location to the next. You have a few ways to do this. If you can install all the disks then make the move you can copy the LV. This takes forever to do it seems. You can take down the database and backup the LV then restore it or you can do one of the following methods which I perfer. If you have the hdisk space you can just take down the database and tar everything to disk then restore. You can also back up the data to disk remove the disks recreate the vg and LVs then restore the datafiles. No matter what I did I would be sure I took down all the databases and related processes before trying anything.

Hope that helps,

Tcorum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back