Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving last names to beginning of field

Status
Not open for further replies.

SApple

Programmer
Sep 28, 2000
US
I know this question must come up often, but I can't seem to locate the answer. I'm working in CRD v.7.0, and bringing in a field that has first name/middle initial/last name and want to format it last name first. I get this done by the following formula (called @UpperOriginator):

Uppercase(Trim({P.Originator}
[Instr({P.Originator}," ")+1 to 25])+", " +
Trim({P.Originator}
[1 to Instr({P.Originator}," ")-1]))

where P.Originator is the field.

This works fine except for some names which have middle initials (less than 25%). Then they are showing up as:

Z. Doe, John

I wrote the following additional formula:

if "*. " in ({@UpperOriginator}) then
mid({@UpperOriginator},4)
else {@UpperOriginator}

but this doesn't seem to work. Any ideas, gang? Thanks!

Try:
if ". " in ({@UpperOriginator}) then
{@UpperOriginator} [4 to length({@UpperOriginator})]
else {@UpperOriginator}

You don't need the "*" with IN and
you didn't give the third argument to MID. I prefer the subscript to MID myself. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

Actually, I just realized that if you don't give MID the third argument, it goes to the end. Didn't know that.

So your only error was including the * in the condition. Ken Hamady

Thanks as always, Ken. You are good. I took out the wildcard (of course now I realize I didn't need it!) and the names are coming in terrific.

Now if I want to keep middle initials in on other reports (for names distinguished only by middle initials) do you have a suggestion as to how best to do that?

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Can you add 4 chars to the first name length when there is a ". "? Ken Hamady

Ken, (1) which formula would you modify and how; and (2) now I'm told there are other names with first initial/full middle name/last name. <sigh> Thinking I should have left well-enough alone...

I'm just not sure how to accommodate all the various permutations of folks' names...?

You would have to change the first formula, but I haven't waded through it to figure out how.

I think the permutations are getting me beyond what I can do here. Sounds like you may need a long nested if-then statement. Ken Hamady

SApple: Try this for size:

numbervar start_of_surname:=InstrRev({P.Originator},' ')+1;

// I think this function is downloadable from seagate
//web site at If not then
//same effect can be obtained but with more complication

numbervar end_of_firstname:=Instr({P.Originator},' ')-1;

if {?sort_order_param} = 'Lastname, Firstname' then
mid({P.Originator},start_of_surname)+&quot;, &quot;+left({P.Originator},end_of_firstname)
else
if ({?sort_order_param} = 'Lastname, Fullnames' then
mid({P.Originator},start_of_surname)+&quot;, &quot;+left({P.Originator},start_of_surname-1)
else
if ({?sort_order_param} = 'Lastname, 2 initials' then
mid({P.Originator},start_of_surname)+&quot;, &quot;+left({P.Originator},1)+&quot;. &quot;+mid({P.Originator},end_of_firstname+1,1)+&quot;.&quot;

hth

David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back