Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving gw system to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpp

MIS
Jul 13, 2000
US
I am upgrading to more powerful server.<br>what's easiest way to move my groupwise system over to new server? i do not want to change any settings (e.g. ip address, server name) i just want to change the box.

I had to do this and I found that a straight copy (ncopy or xcopy) between the two boxes didn't work. The most successful way I had to move the domain/po was to compress the directory structure with a ZIP utility and copy the ZIP file on to the new server and unzip. You still may have to rebuild the indexes.

You should have a look at Novells TID 10008433. <br>I did it last Thursday and it works fine

TID 10008433 from support.novell.com works fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;My server crash (hardware failure) and had to be replaced.&nbsp;&nbsp;Once I had NetWare installed on the new server and it was stable, just followed the steps in the above TID.<br><br>Best of luck.

Thanx for your replies. I took a look at the TID mentioned. <br>I'm sure it works, but it involves a new UNC and new ip address. It also means that client settings must be changed.<br><br>In my case, i want to replicate the current gw server on to a new box. I want the process to be completely transparent to the end-user. Therefore, settings like ip address must remain the same.<br><br>I've thought about taking an image of the source server, and then putting it on destination. But that can get very tricky when the new hardware is different from the old.Has anyone successfully imaged a gw server before?<br><br>Instead of imaging, i probably will try the process descibed in TID 10014282 (hardware upgrade - netware 4.11)<br>but it just covers a &quot;standard&quot; novell server - is there anything special i need to consider when doing this with a gw server?<br><br><br>

Further to this in fact i have another problem
i'hv 900 users on groupwise 5.5 &amp; want to create a new email
server with domain name change i can't take the risk of
moving the 800 users.
only requirrment is all the old mails, personal address book, should get transferred to new mail server with new
domain
can anybody help me ?
i have gone thru' all the TId's but all are of move
no copy .
regards
ajay

jpp,

I have used Norton Ghost for NetWare from older server to new. Other than a few hardware/driver changes it went well. This was from 4.11 to 5.1 and completely new hardware. I have done 2 so far with excellent results.

Good Luck!

Mark ;-)

I've done the same that that yvfwc did, except I used Image Cast 3 for Netware from old server to new. It worked almost flawlessly save for a driver changes. We do this for department computers and works pretty well for the most part.

best,

mr

Are you migrating the whole server or just Groupwise.

Whole server scenario.
1. Install same Netware and Service pack onto new pc.
2. Create temp NDS onto new server.
3. Log a pc into both trees and map a drive to sys:
4. Run dsmaint on old server( This will lock ds and create a file on old server.
5. Copy this file to new server.(sys:system)
6. Down old server, remove ds from new server, rename new server to old server name and change internal ipx to old one.
7. Restart new server, load dsmaint, restore ds.

8. Install backup software.
9. Restore data from backup.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back