Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from VB.NET/Windows to Mint Linux and Kdevelop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogi

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm considering the jump for our office from Windows XP/VB.NET developed order processing system and taking the whole office over to Linux desktops (not sure on Server as yet - but might look at a NAS device with offsite backup). I like the Mint interface and how it runs!

We only use email, which is a bit of an issue as Outlook is good with email and calendar integration - so looking for replacement program(s), Word/Excel (basic functions - no programming) and then we've currently a VB6 developed application that updates 2 x MySQL Databases, prints forms and invoices, this is being updated to VB.NET.

As I am brand new to developing apps in Linux and just studying videos on YouTube regarding programming in KDevelop, I was wondering if anyone on here has experience of:-

Reading/Writing to MySQL from Kdevelop - is it easy to do? Is it easy to deploy to other desktops?
Printing - Is it easy to control a print page with Kdevelop? VB.NET is ok with 1 page but becomes a headache for multiple pages (or it does with how I am doing it)?

Anything else anyone would recommend when switching environments.

My current config is:-

1 x SBS 2003 Server running Exchange Server/MySQL/Avast AV Suite/File Storage
3 x Windows XP Pro using either Office 2003 or Office 2007
2 x Windows 7 using Office 2010

If we exclude our need for a bespoke app to process orders and look to replace server/pc's/microsoft, what would you have as your setup?

Thanks for any and all information you give in advance.

Cheers
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back