Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from one splf to another 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbsarge

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
Is there a way to move the items shown when I do a WRKSPLF to another users spool?

Sometimes when we have nightshift workers printing files generated by daytime employees it would be nice to be able to move the files to the night persons output queue.

Thanks for any help given!

you place a 2 beside the spoolfile,,, for a "change",, and then press enter,, and make any change you want.. TA-DA

I know how to do that. That doesn't let me move it to another user - only another printer or change the number of the page to start and end on, how many copies, whether to print next or save the output.

I need to know how to move it to a different user so when they type wrksplf without a name qualifier, it will just show up in their spool.

So, you do not want to move it to another printer or outque,, you actually want to change the owner of the file,, so that joe,, can key wrksplf,, and see the reports. Is that correct??

Well in looking at the 400 commands there is a CHGOWN,, ie change owner,, but I do not know if they is what you are looking for.

Could you give me an example of the syntax that would be used? If user A types WRKSPLF and it shows:

PRT1
File123456

can I transfer ownership of the output File123456 from user A to user B so that when user B types WRKSPLF they see the above output?

I don't think the chgown will work. Depending on the number of spool files it might be a lot of work. What about moving the spool files to a night outq. Then the night operator can just do a wrkoutq, instead of wrksplf?

You can use the SNDNETSPLF command to copy the spoolfile to another user. It's option 1 on wrksplf on my box.

--------------------------------
Codito, ergo sum

Thanks gpcrasher. I had started to look into the SNDNETSPLF command already. I found out you have to make sure the receiving user has to be enrolled in the messaging directory for this to work but, definitley seems to be the right command.

Thanks again!

How about just having the desired spool files always go to a separate outq, then write a simple command to open that outq for the day shift or the night shift, i.e. woq would open outq nightprt, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back