Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving from menubars to commandbars 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVF

Programmer
Feb 25, 2005
US
I have a large Excel Add-In with a custom menubar. The menubar has between 7 and 10 menus depending on options chosen elsewhere. There are a few submenus sprinkled within the main menus. On-Actions and captions change according to options chosen elsewhere.

All references to the MenuBar use the MenuBars object.

With Menubars("My Bar").menus("File").menuitems("Save").enabled......etc.

The MenuBars object seems to be on its way out. How critical is it that I re-write the MenuBar code to CommandBar code? (Which by the way I am struggling with)

Thanks,
Greg

Ok - The help files can sometimes seem a bit daunting if you're a bit new at it, but it's actually quite easy. Whilst I can't help you with regards to your options, I have attached some code below that shows you how to create a simple CommandBar:

In Excel I find toolbars a real bind compared to the ease of MS Word toolbars, so I always destroy previous instances & recreate it when you open Excel, rather than trying to get it to save in the Personal.xls.

This example is called from an Autoexec routine

'##############################################
Sub AutoExec

Dim cbrNewBar As CommandBar
Dim cbcButtonA As CommandBarButton
Dim cbcButtonB As CommandBarButton

'Destroy previous instance
If Application.CommandBars("New Toolbar").Visible = True Then
Application.CommandBars("New Toolbar").Delete
End If

'recreate, name & position toolbar
Set cbrNewBar = Application.CommandBars.Add
cbrNewBar.Name = "New Toolbar"
cbrNewBar.Position = msoBarTop

'add buttons
With cbrNewBar.Controls
'set what type you want them to be
Set cbcButtonA = .Add(msoControlButton)
Set cbcButtonB = .Add(msoControlButton)

'add their captions
cbcButtonA.Caption = "Button A"
cbcButtonB.Caption = "Button B"

'tooltip text
cbcButtonA.DescriptionText = "Click to run Macro A"
cbcButtonB.DescriptionText = "Click to run Macro B"

'set their style (text/picture etc)
cbcButtonA.Style = msoButtonCaption
cbcButtonB.Style = msoButtonCaption

'add separator
cbcButtonB.BeginGroup = True

'specify macro that runs when you click them
cbcButtonA.OnAction = "MacroA"
cbcButtonB.OnAction = "MacroB"

End With

'make sure you can see it
cbrNewBar.Visible = True

End Sub
'####################################################

A very basic example with ounly 2 buttons but I hope this helps. Obviously you are going to have to do some work with it to get your options sorted, but it should give you a start. As for the criticalness of rewriting your menubar routines, I'm no expert but I suspect that they will still be compatible for a while yet.

Cheers

Asjeff

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

My add-in started out in the Excel 4.0 macro language and that still works so I hope microsoft holds on to Menubars for a bit longer.
By the way, in the Excel 4.0 macro language my menubar code was about 100 instructions. In VBA its over 500 lines of code.
Using commandbars I can see about 1500 lines of code.

Greg

hmmm - i'm guessing you're going to be quite busy!! Sorry Greg - there will be ways of keeping the code more concise than the example above, but until you start it they probably wont be obvious, and I can't help you there.

Asjeff

Using Excel 2003-vba

Searching for a way to connect a customized controlbar to a specific workbook, instead of Excel in general, I stumbled on this code a few days ago.

I've copied it entirely placed it in a new module and linked to it from workbook_open
It works perfectly.

Yet wanting more as always hihihi I got stuck

And stuck on this code
'set what type you want them to be
Set cbcButtonA = .Add(msoControlButton)
Set cbcButtonB = .Add(msoControlButton)

if I change msoControlButton to msoControlDropDown there is indeed button placed like ie font
yet I want the buttonstyle dropdown like ie file
so I changed msoControlButton to msoControlButtonDropDown
but now I get

Run-time error '5':
invalid procedure call or argument

I can't understand it why dropdown works and buttondropdown doesn't evenmore since you can place it manually.

So plse can anyone tell me why it won't work and what will?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back