Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOVING FROM IDE TO SCSI 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

barney2

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
GB
I HAVE AN NT4 SERVER WITH

IDE HDD & SCSI TAPE OFF A DECENT ADAPTEC CONTROLLER

IDE IS ON ITS WAY OUT BUT I MANAGED TO MIRROR C DRIVE TO ANOTHER IDE.

THIS MIRRORED DRIVE BOOTED FINE ON ITS OWN (ONLY HDD IN SYSTEM) I HAD TO BOOT FROM FLOPPY FIRST

I THEN ADDED A DECENT SCSI DRIVE & MANAGED TO MIRROR IDE DRIVE TO IT.

IF I REMOVE IDE DRIVE & BOOT FROM SCSI I GET BLUE SCREEN

"INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

STOP ERROR 0X0000007B ETC.

PRESUMABLY BECAUSE I HAVE THE WRONG HDD DRIVERS NOW.

BOOTING FROM CD RECOGNISES IDE & SCSI DRIVERS WHICH WORKED BEFORE BUT WON SEE PARTITION.

HOW DO I CHANGE THE BOOT HDD DRIVERS PLEASE

ONCE IVE DONE THAT HOW DO I THEN REMOVE THE NEED TO BOOT FROM FLOPPY

THANKS

ok, can you boot the server from the ide hard drive with the scsi drive hooked up?

You're going to need to install drivers for the card and enable the scsi disk in the nt4 device manager.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

It sounds like your system is seeing the partition, because you have to be able to read your system partition to even generate the STOP error. There are unfortunately dozens of reasons that cause a STOP 0x7b error.

When you boot from the install CD, you see the drive but no partitions? Or you see nothing? Could you potentially install NT to another partition or folder? If so, this will give you access to make changes.

Gersen

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

I think it is an issue with the boot.ini file on your boot floppy, it has to be a little different for scsi disks.

Drivers must be OK since you were able to mirror to it?

karmic I can put the old ide back & remirror it if needed
what would i need to do then

gersen i see nothing no drives rather that a drive but no partitions

rdroske i am using a boot ini from the web with very general all encomapassing details. surely the fact that its seen the partition means the boot ini has worked and the problem is further down the line

The statement that "i am using a boot ini from the web with very general all encomapassing details" worries me. The parameters in your boot.ini tell you system where to find it's boot partition. An ini file with very general, all encompassing details is garbage.

The only thing I can add at this point is an expansion on what has already been said. karmic told you that you need to install the SCSI driver. There's a point, as the 2nd boot floppy finishes and before you insert the 3rd, where it specifically asks you if you'd like to specify any controllers that you have a driver disk for.

I'm out,

G.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

I know that I can see the partition.

I have a boot disk with various combinations of multi disk rdisk partition etc.

multi 0
disk 0
rdisk 0
partition(1)\WINNT WORKS BUT FALLS OVER
(scsi bios is enabled)
all the others fail to see the partition.

it is the first partition on a scsi controller. there are no ide drives now.

I have booted the old ide server & remmirrored to the new scsi hd

The old server was partition 2
I then made repair disk from the old ide disk
I then took the ide off & booted from my winnt cd
it recognised my ide controller & my adaptec 2940 uw

i then tried a repair using the old repair disk but changing
the partition parameter from 2 to 1 on the repair disk.

It sees the partiton /folder to repair & runs thru fine.

On rebbot I get my usual blue disk

How do I tell NT4 that the partion is sitting on the scsi controller now & not the ide.

To repeat

I had
1 x ide drive & 1 x scsi tape drive running off the scsi 2940 - worked fine but ide drive on way out.

I then add scsi drive to scsi adapter it sses it with no new drivers & i mirror ide to scsi all is ok & initialised.Event log says mirror complete

I then remove ide drive

ide winnt folder was partition 2
scsi winnt folder is partition 1
Repair sees it & runns thru
boot up sees it but falls over.

I have tried vga mode
I have tried this with & without breaking the mirror before i shut down and remove the ide drive.

thanks

Read the article at the link I posted and notice that the boot ini has scsi() where you have multi().

Hi, Please try this after downloading the latest drivers of the SCSI disk. It seems that NT doesn't have the drivers to access the disk.
1.) Plug in SCSI Disk and remove the IDE. Keep IDE as contingency
2.) Boot with NT CD and start the installation
3.) At the time of installation, on the first screen itself press F6 and give the drivers for the SCSI disk. This is the key step.
4.) When asked whether to upgrade existing NT or install new NT, select upgrade and complete the installation.
5.) After upgrade, you should be able to boot with SCSI device but the service pack will be 1. So re-install the service packs and pathces.
6.) Let us know, if this works. Should work 99.99%, i got this error many times and every time, just installed the drivers, but never moved from IDE to SCSI so not 100% sure.

Ive got it working now

The boot ini was fine as I have scsi bios enabled.

I had in cntrl panel devices

ide drive as boot
scsi as system.

I swapped them round & its fine.

I do however still have one problem.
I have to boot from floopy

I've doen fdisk /mbr & I know the partition is active

I guess its because I've got a 4GB SCSI primary partiton now

is there anything I can do

fdisk /mbr will overwrite the Boot-loader information of Windows NT with that of MS-DOS, hence you are not able to boot from the Hard drive.
I guess the floppy which you are using to boot, should have the 3 files, ntldr, bot.ini & ntdetect.com.

Try one of the following two things

1.) When the machine has booted, copy the files to the hard disk. First just copy ntldr and see. If it doesn't work, also copy boot.ini. Finally ntdetect.com. If this doesn't work, try this.
2.) Boot from NT CD and start the installation and be sure to select some other folder e.g c:\winnt40 instead of c:\winnt. After the machine reboots for the first time, select the previous NT, which should now be 3rd in the options. It should boot now, no need to continue the installation of the new NT. The key is to overwrite just the boot-sector. When the system is up, delete the folder C:\winnt40 and make the necessary changes in boot.ini file to reflect only the old Windows NT.

Let us know

If you fix the boot.ini on the hard drive you won't need the floppy.

Why are you having such a hard time with that. It needs to be different if you are booting from a SCSI disk. SCSI(), not Multi()

Oh yeah, and I don't believe you about booting from a scsi drive without changing that by the way.

Fix the boot.ini on your hard drive and you won't need the floppy.

I started again & made an 800Mb DOS boot partition. This booted to a c prompt. I then made the ide the main drive again & remirrored the 2 nt partitions to a 2nd & 3rd paritition. I then deleted the dos partition & made a new nt partition in its place. I made it active & copied over the contents of the floppy into this drive. I rebooted & all is fine.

I now have 800MB E drive as the boot drive & 1st partition
4GB c drive
4gb d drive

(I still have Multi() not scsi ()as the scsi has bios enabled)

BTW... what's the SCSI ID of the SCSI drive? Set it to zero, get into the scsi bios and check to make sure the ID zero is the boot device...

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back