Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from DataStageTX 8.0 to Websphere Transformation Extender 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mseedig

Technical User
Dec 13, 2005
US
We are starting to move from Ascential DataStage TX 8.0 to IBM Websphere Transformation Extender 8.1. I just wanted to ask if anyone is aware of any pitfalls to watch out for or particular issues to be aware of? I'm still relatively "new" to the tool (still have not been to any formal training), so I'm guessing this should be a lot of fun. (Yay!) Thanks in advance for any insight into this process.

And, actually, we're moving from Ascential DataStage TX 8.0 AND DataStage TX 6.7.1 to Websphere Transformation Extender 8.1 (even more fun).

Probably need to give a little more info...

What environment are you running? Linux, Unix, Windows...

Other factors that might affect your upgrade might be other TX applications you might be upgrading atthe same time, like Partner/Commerce Manager, HIPAA Pacs, yada,yada, yada...

Our current DataStage TX 8.0 environment is on a Windows 2003 server. Our current DataStage TX 6.7.1 environment is running on AIX (not completely sure what version, maybe 5.3). The new Websphere Transformation Extender 8.1 environment will be on a Windows 2003 server. We are moving the whole shebang, Partner/Commerce Manager, Design Studio, Launcher...we don't run any HIPAA, EDIFACT or TRADACOM, only X12.

Probably not a good idea until service pack 2 is released.

Unfortunately, janhes, it isn't my decision. I just have to live with it.

In that case I think you need to contact support regarding patches you may need.

Is there an ETA for the release of service pack 2?

I think it's around June/July but don't quote me.

janhes,
Are there a number of bugs with the 8.1 installation that you know of? Or just using the common sense method of waiting until the kinks are worked out?

-Mike

I have come across a number to do with converting xml type trees to 8.1 from 6.7.1. I have also seen some issues to do with formatting numbers.
The IBM forum has a number of entries which may relate to bugs.
I think you would need to do thorough testing to be confident of the upgrade.

We are also planning a move from 6.7.1 to 8.x on a windows platform. We are only going to recompile the utility maps used by all users (routing, logging etc), not the individual transformations at this point.

We will test the non recompile strategy and if it is successful will save us 6 months in the project. As transformations require changes they will be redeveloped or maybe migrated to Message Broker.

Its a slightly risky approach but to recompile and retest takes a huge extra effort

That's my preferred solution but the new XML type trees are so much easier to understand.
I would also like to use the RAND function to provide unique file names. We are now finding conflict over file names utilising datetime to 1000th sec with faster processors on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back