Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving from Client 5.0.11 to 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

klh456

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
Hello

Does anyone know a good procedure for moving people from the 5.0.11 client to 6.5? I don't mean upgrading the client. In this case the people are getting new computers. I need to move their mail from their current client 5.0.11 on the old machine to the new machine which has 6.5. I have tried copying the Notes.ini file and the ID file from the old machine but that does not work. It says it cannot find a file (possibly the username.nsf file since that is local on the old PC).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KLH456

Are your users' mail files stored locally on their computers? They're not on a Domino Server somewhere?

MJ

MJ

The mail files are stored in a local replication on the user's computer. They are also on the server until the user archives any of the messages.

I would like to move their mail to the new machines with the 6.5 client without using any of their preferences from the old client. I have not been able to find a way to do this.

If you are running XP and the Notes install was done as multi-user the files are held in C:\Documents and Settings\"USERNAME"\Local Settings\Application Data\Lotus\Notes\Data

Not a great (or tested) solution but I guess you could install the 5.011 client on the new PC and then copy this folders contents (inc mail and archive subfolders) over to the new PC. Then install 6.5 which should then update files.

Hi

I was hoping to avoid needing to install 5.011 onto the new computer. The files are all stored in c:\lotus\notes\data. I have also thought about upgrading the 5.0.11 client to 6.5 before moving them but I would like to find a way to do it without the extra upgrade step.

Thanks.

Then I would just copy the following files and paste them into the /notes/data folder on the new computer:

their local address book - names.nsf (in the /notes/data folder)
their mail archive - a_jsmith.nsf (in the archive folder: /notes/data/archive).

If they use "favorites" and "bookmarks", you could copy them, too.

Afterwards, you can upgrade/convert their mail template on the server, and locally (replace design).

I can't think of any reason to copy their notes.ini file over.

Hope this helps

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back