Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Farm from NT to W2K domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

deefer

Technical User
Oct 9, 2001
AU
We have a 2 server farm running metaframe XP on W2K. We had policies set up under NT that applied to the farmusers group and stopped them changing stuff and seeing server drives etc. We then installed a W2K PDC and now whenever I create a new metaframe user the policies don't apply any more and they can do what they like!!

What should I do?

If the users are now authenticating with the 2000 domain controller, sounds like the group policies aren't setup right. Here's a snipit from a walkthrough I typed for my office, check it out...

First, put all your terminal services users in a group on the domain controller.

Go to Start>Run>MMC. This opens Console1.
Click Actions>Add/Remove Snap-In. You'll see a list of Snap-Ins. Click Add, Group Policy, Add. Now you'll have to
define what Group Policy you want to Administer. Click Browse, and right click in the white box that has the default Group Policies, and click New. Type a name for it, then click Finish, then Close, then OK. You'll have added your Group Policy Snap-In to your MMC Console1. Right Click on the name of the Group Policy, and click Properties.
Choose the Security tab. Click Add, and add the group that your Terminal Services users belong to. Give them the
Read & Apply Group Policy rights under the Allow column. Also add the Domain Administrators group, but give
them the right Apply Group Policy under the Deny column. This is very important, it ensures that this policy does
not affect your administrators. Save Console1 before you exit (probably to your desktop), and give it a friendly name. Now go back in, and define your policy. Save it, and have a user reboot, test it out.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back