Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 5.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INsOMNIOUS

Technical User
Feb 12, 2001
GB
Hi there I am about to move over my companys exchange server to a new PDC as the administrator here last installed the Not For Resale version of NT which only allows 10 People to access their e-mails at once.

If anyone has had any experience with moving servers please let me know any problems you have encountered and if possible direct me to some articles about this subject

Thanks

INsOMNIOUS

I have moved Exchange between servers, by following the instructions in the manuals for creating a new Exchange server. You should then see both Exchange servers in Exchange Administrator.

Then the user's mail boxes need to be moved from the old server to the new one, this is done in Exchange Administraor. Do not disturb the old server until you are happy the new one is ready to accept the mail boxes.

BE VERY CAREFUL - there are hidden system mailboxes which must also be moved across. I only found this out after I had wiped the old server and am still trying to find out how to replace them.

You can run both servers together for a while to make sure the old server is not being used for any activities and ensure all settings are pointing to the new server. You can even move only a few user mail boxes over to the new one just to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back