Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Exch server / Partition Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

monksey

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
GB
I am planning to move my exchange server to a bigger and better server. I have to keep the same name, site and org. I downloaded the article Q155216 on how Microsoft recommend the move. My question is they recommend building the new disks exactly as they were ie same partitions (not necessarily the same size). I dont necessarily want all of the partitions as before because they do not store any relevant exchange data. Do I only have to create partitions that contain the releveant exchange data ie priv,pub or do I have to duplicate what I had before for the new server work properly.

Any info on this would be appreciated, Kinda worried about doing it !

Monksey

You MUST have the same number of partitions for Q155216 to work. Once you have the databases copied to the new server, and have run the repair utilities (isinteg, etc.) then you can run the performance optimizer and move the database files around that way. If you have moved everything onto a single partition, you can delete the unused partitions and resize the existing one to again use the full space.

If you have time to play, you can do all this work on the original server, before doing the Q155216 move, and then you won't have to do this to your new server.

Alex

Cheers Alex,
I thought that would be the case. I'll create a duplicate of the old server and mess around with partitions on the new server when I have run the Perf Optimizer.

Thanks Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back