Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Domino to a different server and migrating the data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2003
US
I plan on moving our Domino 5.0.11 Server from its existing Server running NT, and re-installing it on a new server running 2000. Then after a successful re-install upgrade it to Domino 6. IBM provided me with the steps and necessary files that I would need to copy and migrate, but I still had some questions.
During the migration to the new server, a name change will be necessary. What implications will this have? Any tips?

I guess you talking about OS name change? In that case you just have to make sure that your DNS and hostfiles are updated.

Otherwise it shouldn't be any problems.

Good luck!

Im not concerned about the DNS, I am more concerned about the Domino Server configuration.

If I migrate it to a different Server, and change the name, what problems or issues will that cause?

Changing servers is not an extreme problem, I would think you just need to make sure that :

- all databases are signed by the server ID
- all db acl are up to date with LocalDomainServers as Manager, so as to ensure that the server does indeed have access
- which will allow you to then control, via the Admin Client, that all concerned dbs have the new server as Admin Server, to ensure proper execution of admin requests

Signing is important to ensure that all scheduled agents have the possibility of continuing their functionality.
Apart from that, you will obviously have to check that all apps continue to function correctly under the new server. Things like parameter documents, or (Heaven forbid !) hard-coded server names will have to be changed in order to prevent issues that will plague users and cause an inordinate amount of helpdesk calls in a short time.
Of course, if you are only moving mail dbs, you will not be concerned by such issues.
There are certainly one or more details I have not mentioned, but you'll need a true admin to bring them to light.

I think I would approach this slightly differently.

I would register the new server with the new name and go on ahead and set it up as an additional server in the Domain (R5.0.11). Once set up, I would use the admin client to move all of the mail files and replicate any databases that need to be on the new server. There is a server decomission process that you can run on the old server to make certain that the old server is ready to be shut down. Once complete, I would migrate the new server to 6.0.0, do the 6.0.1 update and the CF for 6.0.1.

This would ensure that the users would be correctly moved in the directory and would prevent manual entries of the new server name... It would also ensure that everyone and all of the data is correctly moved and a backup of the data (not the mail though) would exist on the old server.

Just be certain that you set up the new server in the LocalDomianServers group and that this group exists in all db's and mail files.

Good luck.

Leo L'Homme, PCLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back