Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2008
GB
I'm moved my DHCP server before, but it was some time ago, and I've forgotten stuff.

I've got the new one all setup and exported the db over etc.

How will my workstations know that they have to use the new DDHCP server? Is it just the case that when their address eexpires they will come along to the new DHCP server (the only one on the network) and ask for a new address ?

Sorry to be dim !

DHCP client devices broadcast the local network segment to ask for an address from a server. As long as your network is only one broadcast domain you should be okay. Although I would shorten the lease time before the switchover.

Also, the obvious test here would be to do an
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
once you are cut over. This way you can verify the workstation is indeed picking up an IP address from the new DHCP server.

Also, if this new DHCP server in a different network segment then you'll want to look into dhcp helper addressing in order to ensure your workstations broadcasts to the new DHCP server:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back