Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving DHCP from Domain Server to Member Server W2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodata

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2003
US
I recently enter an environment where they have the DHCP service installed on a Domain Server. I know this is a security issue. What is the best method to migrate this to a member server and will I have any issues with DNS records?

When you say domain server I assume you mean DC, just install DHCP on the member server and auth it in AD, and unauth the old one if you no longer wish to use it.

Tam Towndrow
MCSE, MCSA

As long as the new DNS Member Server points to the real DNS server everything will work fine. Where I work we have a lot of DHCP Member Servers, and each DC has DNS links going "upward" thruogh the forest. It has taken a couple of years to deploy it correctly but it works without over-loading the long distance links with tons of DNS/DHCP traffic.

Nathan aka: zaz (zaznet)
zaz@zaz.net

I'm interested to know which security issue you are referring to, as the only one I knew of was resolved in service pack 1.

Do you have links to any articles you can post?

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Andy,

I was assuming that was kind of dated as well. We operate DHCP servers as non DC's for a matter of load. We want logins to be fast, and DHCP request to be fast, and DNS requests to be fast. We've got a LOT of servers :)

Nathan aka: zaz (zaznet)
zaz@zaz.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back