Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Delphi to a Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidavinci

Programmer
Oct 13, 2008
US
Hi

I have Delphi6 running on a Win2000 environment and would like to move it and its components/libs etc to a Virtual PC so that this configuration can be backed up and moved to a more reliable machine. It has a few years of components and settings that are hard to re-produce by reinstalling.

1. What would be the minimul re-install in VirtualPC?
2. Are there folders/ file lists etc that can be copied over to the new environment?
3. Suggestions?

Thanks
Davido

There are many registry settings that will need to be 'copied' for the Delphi to work as it did on the actual machine. Do a search in the registry for Borland and Delphi, and export the whole shabang.
This will give you a nice start.

Thanks - good suggestion.

I can copy the borland and delphi folders over and that will get the most of it. Do you know if there is much in the Windows folders other that the basic install of delphi?

I don't know if VirtualPC has this capability, but VMWare does - and VMWare virtual machines can be imported into VirtualPC, so you can do this in a round-about way. VMWare has a Converter program (freeware) that allows an existing real machine to be imported as a virtual machine. You could do that, and then import into VirtualPC. And there would be no reinstalling required.

It depends on what's unreliable with your current machine though. If it's dodgy software/spyware etc that you need to make a break from, then this approach won't work. But if it's hardware based dodginess, then I'd do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back