Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving dc to new site

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
I have a domain controller built in our main site, that i want to move to a remote office. There is already a site and a subnet set up for the remote site.

What's the proper procedure to move a dc to a new site? Do i just move it to the proper site in AD Sites & Services and then simply hook it up there in the right subnet? Or do I move it to the physical location first?

Thanks.

Thanks,
Andrew

If you mean you're just going to physically move the box from one location to another, that's easy.

Move it in Sites & Services.

Change the IP address properties; update any IP based services on that box, such as DHCP and/or DNS.

Done.

Note that I'm making the assumption that this isn't the holder of the FSMO roles, which may need to be transfered to another DC, depending on your environment.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Nope, no FSMO roles, but it is/will be a GC. That's kind of what i figured, just wanted to make sure.

Do i do what you said "move it in sites and services, change IP" before or after i physically move it? Does that matter?

Thanks,
Andrew

Yes, I would move it in S&S before shipping it off to the remote site.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Hi,

I configured my domain controller for 2nd site on the 1st site, and created a new site for it under Sites and Services, but kept it on same subnet as 1st site until it was moved.

It has now been physically moved, and I instructed the admin at 2nd site to give it a local IP address. However he cannot logon to it with Domain Admin credentials. Why is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back