Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving data from AS/400 to MS Access table

Status
Not open for further replies.

srikala

Programmer
May 7, 2002
IN
Hello,

I am using MS Access 97 as back end for one of my ongoing projects.For this project,I need to move data from AS/400 to MS Access table.

Is there a way to do this?

Any kind of help in this regard would be greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Srikala

Srikala,

Speak to your friendly IBM support rep, or local AS400 support people, and try to get hold of the appropriate AS400 database ODBC driver software (stands for "Open Database Connectivity").

Once this software is installed, you then go to the ODBC Administrator program (in Control panel), set up a DSN (stands for Data Source Name), which then allows you to interface between your AS/400 database and (in this case) Microsoft Access.

If you start up the ODBC administrator (called ODBCAD32.exe), you might find that the AS/400 database driver are already installed.

Hope that this gets you going on the right path,
Cheers,
Steve

The first reply is the way to go in some scenarios, but if you still really want to move the data, we use "IBM AS/400 Client Access for Windows 95/NT" which is basically a utility that creates fixed width records in a text file from AS/400 tables. Talk to IBM for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back