Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Clients from server group to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

selinathe1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2006
US
I was having a problem with one server group and I fixed it. Well, halfway. But since it's been so long since we started having the problem, the clients in this server group are not managed, other than the time we individually go into the client PC's.
i've heard you can't move clients from one server group to another. I've tried 'remote client install' from Tools. But it dosen't do the trick. It doesn't really give me anerror message though. I've rebooted it and waited and all that stuff but still no result.

The servers are on Win2000, SP4, SAV V.10.0.2
The clients are on WinXP, SP1, SAV 10.0.1 or 2

Thx
-selina

If the clients are unmanaged then try:

If the clients are managed and you want to move them from serverA to serverB then simply copy the grc.dat file from serverB to the client. Follow the steps in the above link. Or you can use the SAVClientmover.exe tool off from the tools directory of the installation cdrom.

HTH - Stiddy

hi, stiddy

so far, SAVClientmover.exe hasn't worked. It just doesnt' open.

To test it out, I copied Grc.dat from another server within the same server group to the PC that I'm on. It was successfully done. But it doesn't work for the server in a different server group. My PC disappears from the server group it's originally in but it doesn't re-appear under a new parent server in a different server group.
Does this trick (copying Grc.dat file) only work with a server group?

Thx
-selina

The symantec makedrop utility will do that for you. Did it not work? You need to copy in the PKI root certificate from the server as well.

JOAMON
I tried makedrop.exe but did not work. It runs and sometimes it does give me a message saying it was done successfullly but it didn't move the clients.
I'll try copying the Grc.dat and pki root certs manually again.

btw, copying Grc.dat from a server from another server group worked. It just seems to work on some servers... Not sure yet.

Thx
-selina

makedrop worked this time! well, for a couple of clients so far. i'm waiting for console to update the list. :)
thank you so much!!

Thx
-selina

It might take 5 to 10 minutes before they show up. If they do not appear try rebooting the remote PC. Also make sure the IP list does not have and 0's in the number groups. 172.018.022.245 will not work...must read as 172.18.22.245....ran into this issue myself.

I see.
Well, so far, I see 3 of the clients out of 8 in that server group. These 3 are on Winxp SP1. The rest are on SP2. So I'm not sure if it matters but I'm assuming so. SP2 is slowing down the process??? Or is it just coincidence?

Thx
-selina

Think a reboot of the clients and after that a clearing of the cache should restore them in the server tree.

glad everything is working out. if you stop the symantec server, then drop the grc.dat file, then start the service, it seems to speed up the process a little but is not neccessary.

HTH - Stiddy

You need need to reboot the pc before they show up on list. They will show up under the server group on the local client after 1-5 mins after remote install, but will not show up on consle. A reboot of the pc is the only way to get it to show up.

Should be able to get it from symantec support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back