Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Away from SBS 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodycare

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
GB
I would like to move away from Small Business Server due to the Compnay expanding how do I go about this. I have read that first you must upgrade to SBS 2003 then buy the transistion pack to split it up. Please can someone help. I am currently running SBS2000

Totally depends on what your desired end state is and your budget.

Provide some additional details on how many servers you plan to move to. Do you intend on keeping the Exchange from SBS?

The transition pack is just as costly as buying all the licenses for the individual products, so honestly you are probably better off starting with a parallel installation or set up a second DC to get your AD then remove SBS after transferring FSMO and GC roles to the new DC and exporting mail using ExMerge.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

But I think the Transition Pack would allow you to connect a new Exchange Server to the org and move the mailboxes. You'd also likely be able to replicate Public Folders to the new server.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back