Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Array to New Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

John0616

Technical User
Dec 15, 2007
US
We have 2 HP ML350 G5 servers. One is no longer being used and is sitting idle. The other has been in use but has suddenly crashed. The warning lights on the machine seem to indicate that there is something wrong with the either the power supply or the internal components or both. Not wanting to waste time trouble shooting with the server offline and a loss of productivity My question is this:

Keeping in mind that the two servers have different RAID controllers, but seem to be similar in every other way, is there any reason we would not be able to pull the RAID controller, cage and drives from the machine that is down and install this in the other server without issue? or is there any specific thing I should check for to be sure that this will work.

John0616,
If the servers are identical except for the RAID controllers, then you should be able to pull the controller and the drives and move them over to the 2nd server. I don't see why you'd need to pull the drive cage.

Make sure you keep the drives in the same order (bay 1 to bay 1). Keep the controller channels connected the same, as well.

Good luck.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We complted the move the machine started right up--no issues so far. Sorry for the confusion about the cage. On these particular models the controller is integarated into the cage--to move the controller it's easiest to simply pull the whole cage.

Thanks for the help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back