Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving ArcServe without reinstalling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss702sh

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2001
US
I need to move Arcserve or at least the logs and databases. I want to do this without reinstalling it all. I have worked for weeks getting 3 libraries and 4 standalone drives working without a hitch and I am finding that even with the databases set to prune at 20 days and minimal logging going on, I am still killing my drive space. I am a Novell guy historically and went and got certified on 2k. We are migrating everything to 2k so, the first server was the backup server. Keeping my Novell mentality, I figured that a 4 gig "c" drive would suffice. Nope, Arcserve has used up all my free space in logs and databases.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, even though I curse CA almost daily, ArcServe is a pretty good product in my eyes. I just wished they had a clue on their web site. That site is like the worst thing in the world. I am sure they leave it "lacking" so we have to call in for tech support. Sorry to be long winded. Soap box is over, hehe.

HI...I know it's a hassle, but you will have to uninstall and re-install..but don't sweat. first copy your database folder, and the jobs folder (In Arcserve2000 it's the one with teh .qsd files, I dis-remember which it is in 6.x). Copy them to a temp folder. Uninstall Arcserve, then re-install it in the new location. Then copy your subfolders over top of the newly installed ones and VOILA! Your jobs and database are intact.

I curse it too, but yes, after all, it's all just software.

I have recently migrated from 6.61 nt to as2k on win2k server and did the move of the job and database subdirectories. So far all seem well.

Ok, well I did do the uninstall and reinstall and I must admit that everyone who said it would be easy were right. It was a breeze. Aside from doing the device group configs again all was kept in the databases. Arcserve is an ok software in my book.

LOL! I'm sorry but this was just too funny. Our Arcserve database is about 5 gig per backup server. We have 4 servers. And yes, moving arcserve is about the easiest thing to do with it.

Hi Guys
I will like to do the samething move my db to a different drive. do I also need to restore the registry for ar2k.

No, uninstalling and re-installing will take care of registry. Just remember to copy your databses before you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back