Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving Arcserve data from old server to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

barazani

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
Hi to all,
I have an arcserve 2000 advanced server running on windows 2000 .
I have installed a new machine ( better hardware ) with new os and arcserver setup.
the question is , how to move all the current configuration from the old server to the new one ( database , jobs and devices).
thanks ...
barazani barazani
bara_zani@yahoo.com
"Unix is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."

Hiya,
Now, the jobs on your current arcserve server can be saved as script files or .asx files. these can then be transferred between servers. That takes care of you job migration. Now, the devices are automatically detected, so once you place them on the new server, there should be much else to do, unless of course its a tape library. If it is, I don't see any other choice than to re-run the library configuration tool. The database is dodgy to transfer. To be honest, I would just re-merge all of the tapes you want to restore from when needed as the database pruning job (by default) has already erased everything in the database more than 30 days old. Just merge as you want to restore from the old tapes, and eventually you will be restoring from jobs that are already in the new database.

OR for the database.....

Also, the document states that you can copy the enter job queue i.e. the 00000001.qsd directory from one server to the other.

Good luck with this.

Guru - brightstor@hotmail.com

Of course, the saving and copying of the job script to the new server will only work if the server name and drive partitions are the same.

For info, CA recommend reinstalling Arcserve onto the new server. You're better of ensuring that if you have the old server up at the same time, that Arcserve is stopped just incase it picks up that your copy of Arcserve is installed on 'another' server. Once this is done, you can merge the tapes if needed as already mentioned. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back