Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving an exchange 2010 server across domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinmitton

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
GB
I have a Exchange 2010 server (no Service Packs applied) that currently sits in an Orphaned domain, I cannot apply any service packs to it due to 'Enterprise Administrator' not being available.

The 'export' to PST function does not work due to the server holding all the exchange rolls and separting them is not an option due to the Orphaned issues (I can't add any more exchange servers to the domain due to the Enterprise admin issue!).

I've now set up a completly brand new domain in its own brand new forest (No relationships / trusts to the old domain). I need to get the mailboxes across to the new domain but sadly cannot setup any enterprise trusts to achieve a move. I can export mailboxes using the GUI on Exchange to another mailbox then use outlook to create a PST but it will be time consuming.

My question is:
Can I take my current exchange server off the current domain (that's been orphaned). Then add it in to the brand new domain then create a new MailDB on that server for the new domain / users. Service pack it up then export or move the old mailboxes to the the 'new' mailDB?

Sadly I don't have an environment to test this in so did not know if someone else has had any experience of this...

No, you can't take the Exchange server out of the current domain and move it. Most of the Exchange "DNA" is in the AD, and you would essentially destroy your ability to do anything with the old Exchange server if you removed it from the orphaned domain. Really.

What do you mean, the new-mailboxexportrequest cmdlet won't run? I don't think having multiple roles should be relevant to that task. I do it all the time on single-server Exchange deployments. Let's focus on resolving the export issue.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, Our server is currently running Version 14.0 (Build 639.21).
I've done the following on the server:
New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “mailbox import export” –User “Administrator”
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <username> -FilePath e:\exportpst\export.pst

Then get the error:
The term 'New-MailboxExportRequest' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:25

I investigated this and found that this command is available in SP1 onwards.

A bit more digging and found this command:
export-mailbox -identity <Username> -PSTFolderPath e:\exportpst\export.pst

But get the following error code: -2147221219
I found that the code is linked to an issue where the Server has the CAS role assigned and therefore fails!

So hence my thought of transfering the server to a new domain... but that seems a bit doomed too.

The problem is that you need to delegate the Org Admin role the Export Import Mailbox sub-role. Then you'll have access to that commandlet. Easiest way to do it is to use the ECP control panel: log into OWA and then go to Options, then Manage Organization, then go into Roles. Once you add that role you'll be good for exporting.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

I've opened up OWA, Logged on as Administrator, gone to options.
In the Users & Groups on the left side, Clicked the Administrator Roles tab.
Clicked on Organization Management, Then details.
On the list which appears in a new window.
Administrator was already a member, so I looked on the 'add' list and there was 'Administrator Account' so I added that too.

I then tried "export-mailbox -identity <Username> -PSTFolderPath e:\exportpst\export.pst" but it still failed (I also closed / reopened the powershell just incase)

I looked in Organization Management 'list' to the right and Could not see any import / export roles?

Am I missing something here...

Sorry caught Submit post by mistake!

The article say's about my problem, has there been a workaround since?then (other than SP1 which I can install)

You need to Manage Roles and add the Import Export Mailboxes task to the list of tasks that the Org Admin role can do.

1. Go to Roles and Auditing.
2. Get Details on Organizational Management
3. In the Roles area, click Add.
4. Choose Mailbox Import Export from the list and add that to the Organizational Role.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Sorry, its getting very late here in the UK. I might be missing something but when I'm in owa / ecp I can't find roles and auditing, when I get back to the office in the morning l'll double check and try to post a picture to give you an idea of what I'm seeing! To tired now! Thanks so far.

I don't get those options! I only get Users & Groups then Reporting on the left hand menu!

I managed to get the mailbox import export role on to that group using powershell though. tried:
Export-Mailbox -Identity username -PSTFolderPath \\servername\exportpst

but sadly the same code: -2147221219

Got it sorted now! Due to the orphand issue the 'rights' were not saving correctly in AD, had to manually add some rights using ADSI edit to get it sorted.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back