Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving an app from VFP7 to VFP 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

myuserid7

MIS
Mar 2, 2005
ES
Could someone please point me to some documentation or FAQ about the differences between VFP 7 and 9 and what is involved in getting a VFP 7 app converted to VFP 9?

Thanks.

For a lot of things there isn't a difference. One I've noted is that indexes that use a procedure file routine will cause a problem with opening the table unless that procedure file is active. This particularly affects me with Sage Products Pro being the main one. It also affects previous editons from SBT and Accpac.

Bill Couture
http:\\

Start with the Help files.

The VFP 9.0 Help has a large "What's New" section, including "Changes in functionality for the current release". That topic contains info about possible compatibility issues for those going from 8.0 to 9.0.

The VFP 8.0 Help has a similar topic for those going from 7.0 to 8.0. If you put the two together, you get a very good guide to the things to watch out for.

(If you haven't got VFP 8.0, you can still read the Help file at MSDN.)

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

There is a good Hentzenwerke book by Tamar Granar et al called "What's New in None: Visual Foxpro's Latest Hits." I like it because it isolates the documentation for all the new features in one place.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

There is a good Hentzenwerke book by Tamar Granar et al called "What's New in None: Visual Foxpro's Latest Hits."
Tamar and Doug also wrote "What's New in VFP 8.0" and as Mike said about the help files, the combination of the two give you the whole picture.

That said, the only difference likely to give you any problems is the stricter SQL syntax which can be bypassed by using SET ENGINEBEHAVIOR. All of my apps that are currently running under VFP9 were first written in VFP7 and I can't think of a thing I had to do when I upgraded other than installing the new runtimes on the client machine.

pamela

Probably the easiest thing you will do today.

Select Statements: If the VFP7 app has no Select statements with a group by, just run & compile in VFP9. If it does, and they are too numerous, Set Engine behavior 70 in your start program. Now you have to include all fields in the Group by clause in VFP9. Change the Having & Group By clauses as soon as possible as you may get ambiguous results, and reset Engine behavior 90.

Dates: CTOD() etc. are not recommended, the work around is, in options, set strict date level to either Off or 2-Constants plus CTOD() & CTOT()

That’s basically all you need to do to be up and running in VFP9.

Recommended Reading: Microsoft Help, “What’s New in Visual FoxPro”

Hi
I also ran with codepage problem when I convert from VFP 8 to VFP 9. It may case some rushmore impact when SQL SELECT.

Nro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back