Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving active equipment from IDF to server room

Status
Not open for further replies.

fs483

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have a customer that needs to move their current patch panel for voice and data from their IDF (a coat closet) to their new server room (about 60 feet away). None of the total runs (with the extra 60 feet added) will be more than 300 feet. They have 30 data runs and 36 voice runs in total. Are we allowed to use 25-pair cables between the patch panel in the IDF and the patch panel in the server room for data? I find this solution easier than running 6 regular cat5e 4-pair wires. One problem I have with running 25-pair is the termination to a 24-port patch panel. I know you need to keep the striping of the jacket to a minimum which I do for the Belden connectors and have no problem with single 4-pair wires but on a 25-pair wire, I will need to strip the outer (and single jacket) quite a bit to terminate the jacks on a 24-port patch panel. Will that cause a problem?

Thanks
fs483

Hello,

Have been doing some more reading and it seems the 25-pair cables actually ahve 6 4-pair bundles inside. I guess that answers my question.

Thanks,
fs483

CAT 5 data and above will not work correctly over standard 25 pair cabling. You may get a connection, but it will be very slow in comparison. You need to either move the existing data cables to the new location, rerun the whole data wiring network, or put in a second patch panel in the IDF and just use patch cords to connect the first one in permanently (to another patch panel in the new MDF). This last option is the least desirable as far as performance is concerned and could also add problems later on down the line. Using 25 pair for voice should not be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back