Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a Virtual SE from a server to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamaSherpa

Instructor
Dec 24, 2015
IT
A virtual already licensed (and working) Server Edition has to be moved to another vmware physical server (a different site), is it allowed by simply having a snapshot or a license swap has to be provided?
Or has to be re-hosted by PLDS ?

IamaSherpa, I have done this before. Are you going to be using Vmotion? I didn't have that luxury when I made my move. The VM version of server edition generates it's SID based on location, IP addressing and some other factors. So you'll have to generate some new licenses through Avaya.

But it should not be the biggest deal if you already use PLDS licensing.

vMotion is the only way to transfer an SE and not have to "dongle swap" licenses. That being said, not too many customers out there can vMotion across the WAN in this space.

I'm pretty sure by moving the server to another location you will also need to change it's ip address. So you will need a new license for sure.

The test plant used to install the SE uses the same ip-address of the end user network, it should not change the ID if "copied".
The ADI licenses can't be re-hosted by PLDS, so I assume the only chance is to have a "manual swap"

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back