Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a share without having to change everone's shortcuts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffP

MIS
Sep 20, 2002
US
How can you move a share from one NT server to another server that has a different name and not have to change eveyone's shortcuts and drive mapping. We are consolidating 3 servers (old) into one new server. NT backup will maintain security but don't know how to point clients to new machine for old shares. Help please.

How is the share/shares? referenced on the client machines? (eg, drive mapping via logon scripts, drive mapping via windows made permanent, use of the UNC name \\server\share - in a shortcut?...). What share(s) are we talking about (data store...)

If its script - fairly obvious, change the script. If mapped via windows, could add a script to map to new location (old one will obviously fail anyway). If its shortcut to the actual name, where does the shortcut live (on each individual desktop, in roaming profile etc). You could edit one and copy to all others?

There may be a clever way of doing this (obviously not in my head currently!) - but even if there is, I think it will depend on exactly where all your references are.

If the old machines are going, you could retain WINS / DNS records for the old names that refer to the new servers IP?

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

What I am looking for is a way to point clients to a UNC on the new server that is currently on the old servers. So what I need is a way to point clents to the new server using the old server's UNC.

The new server will have to have the name of the old server for this to work.

If you've mapped a drive to the UNC share, then made the shortcut to the mapped drive, then you would just need to remap the drive letter to the new UNC name.

(eg. Old X: drive mapped to \\oldserver\oldshare, and shortcut mapped to X: drive, remap X: drive to \\newserver\newshare).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back