Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a physical server to a virtual server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgassner2

Technical User
Sep 19, 2003
US
Hi
I am wondering if anyone knows how to use Backup Exec 10 D to create a IDR disk of a physical server running 2003 server and moving it to a virtual server using VMware's virtual server (free version). I keep getting the same error that the hard disks are not there even if I install the SATA drivers. Both servers are the same, Dell Poweredge 1800. I am just wondering if there was a special way of doing it since all the hardware in a virtual server is well, virtual, and not exactly the same.

Thanks

IDR option is not a migration utility. You virtual machine has different hardware.

VMware has tools to migrate physical machines to virtual machines.

Symantec has Livestate Recover which will allow a disk based backup of you physical machine and do a baremetal restore to the virtual machine.

If your looking to test IDR then create a virtual machine and backup the virtual machine with Backup Exec and then run the idr back to the virtual machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back