Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a pdc off a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTFOOL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2006
US
Hi all
How do I move off my current domain and join an AD network but still retain access to the old files on the NT pdc. In essence the domain the NT box is tied to is going away, but users still need access to resources on that box. Currently the pdc is used but my users have to re-authenticate to hit any shares/files on the NT side (They log into the AD domain on their workstations).
Can I simply make this machine part of a workgroup to remove its domain membership and then have it added to the new AD domain ?
If anyone has any experience doing this and can offer any advice it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately unless you use a tool like UPROMOTE you cannot downgrade an NT 4 PDC to a member server. If your AD environment is currently running in mixed mode, you can always set up a trust-relationship between your old NT domain and your AD domain which will allow your users access to the old resources (of course you will need to make any modifications to the ACL on the folders of your NT4 PDC to allow users access). Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back